Latter-day Saints Skinny Dipper's Forum
Welcome to the New LDS Skinny Dipper's Forum!
(View six year's of archives here.)

While this website is primarily for members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, or Mormons, who are interested in chaste, wholesome, recreational nudity, everyone is welcome to participate.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Can Christians be nudists?
pipermac5 Offline
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 14, 2015 2:46:36 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I realize that this is under the general topic of "Can Mormons be nudists?", but I believe that we would all call ourselves "Christians". We are followers of Christ, even though we hold to some different denominationally-distinctive views. I am not calling anyone to forsake their long-held beliefs, unless those beliefs are wrong. We each need to answer a few questions as our basis:

1) Who or what is your "final authority"?

2) Is your "final authority" human or divine?

3) If your "final authority" is human, does that person speak with greater-than-divine authority?

Throughout the history of the church, some men have presumed that they knew better than God how their people ought to live. When Jesus walked this earth, they were called "Pharisees", and they had a well-developed set of extra laws, things that God had not given regulations about, that they imposed on the children of Israel. Even though we no longer routinely call them "Pharisees", they are still very much alive and well today. We see those in the long lists of "do's" and "don't's" that are part of daily life in many churches. They are extra-biblical rules, also known as "the traditions of the elders". They carry no divine authority, even though people act like they do.

God has spoken through the Bible, so for me, the Bible IS my "final-authority" for all things pertaining to faith and life. I need no other authority, because God is the ultimate and final authority.

The Bible is totally mum about ordinary nudity. God has simply accepted ordinary nudity as a matter of fact, because until the advent of modern textiles, clothes were expensive and hard to come by. He only commanded two groups of people, Priests and Levites, to wear clothes, and only when they were performing tabernacle or temple service. Common-laborers, servants and slaves still often worked nude well into the New Testament era.

When King David danced naked before the Lord while the Ark of the Covenant was being brought into Jerusalem, his wife Michal made fun of him. God cursed her with barrenness, but said nothing to David, the "Man after God's own heart".

Can a Christian be a nudist? We sure can, as far as I can tell from the Bible.

Is God your "final authority", or do you have a "final authority" that you believe "trumps" God?

I am naked and unashamed in Christ!

Steve

Mods: If this post is too "over-the-top" for this forum, feel free to delete it.
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us
2 users thanked pipermac5 for this useful post.
LazerusLong on 7/14/2015(UTC), Skywalker20 on 7/14/2015(UTC)
EltonJ Offline
#2 Posted : Sunday, August 2, 2015 9:46:27 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
There is nothing wrong with a Christian being a nudist. Although human kind experimented with clothing some 170,000 years ago, here on the North American Continent God planted the White Race without any clothes that I know of. Allegorically, they were called Adam and Eve, meaning people of both sexes were planted here. God taught Adam and Eve how to eat of the fruits of the land, making us Fruitarians. We were never taught to cook our food and we became foragers. (Note, talking with other people, there are actually a Baker's Dozen of races that came about. Twelve were the result of evolution [directed or not, that's up to you] one was the result of plantation).

Neither the bible or the BoM really condemns nudity. Just in the BoM, there was a racist comment on how the Natives and the Lamanites would wear just a loin cloth, and the Nephites were fully clothed. In both the Bible and the BoM is a condemnation of being ostentatious in your dress. In both how the Christ would speak to the Rich Man, and how Alma would say that precious textiles was more important than giving to the poor what they needed to survive (clothing, food, shelter, education, and health care). There is a constant mention of Iniquity, which in English, really means INEQUALITY.

Being socially nude takes the Inequality amongst the human race away. No one knows if you are rich or poor, own a big house or a small house, or whatever. Everything is equal when you chuck the clothes off to be socially nude. Nudism leads to equality. There's no other way to say it. So in the end, a Christian can be a nudist because when we are nude, all are equal in each other's eyes.
The resurrection is pure beauty.
Mormondad Offline
#3 Posted : Sunday, August 2, 2015 4:23:29 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 270 time(s) in 166 post(s)
Pipermac,
I don't think you're over the top in this discussion. Whether we go as Christians or more narrowly focusing on LDS (Mormons) it doesn't matter. As Elton stated there is nothing in the Book of Mormon that condemns nudity at all, add this to the fact that the Bible doesn't condemn it either and you have no scriptural basis to claim it's immoral or against God's Laws. In the Book of Mormon the only references towards nudity regard feeding and clothing the poor who are completely without clothing. This would indicate that nudity amongst the poor was a common occurrence and still we see no condemnation only a commandment for those who have wealth and means to provide for those who do not. I have asked several to provide any scriptural evidence that proves nudity is wrong or immoral. I have yet to have anyone provide any such evidence.

In the temple we all wear white. Part of that is to remove the class distinction of clothing, however I have noticed that even with everyone in all white, many individuals 'of means' still select clothing that clearly sets them apart from others.
"Modesty died when clothes were born."
---Mark Twain
pipermac5 Offline
#4 Posted : Sunday, August 2, 2015 5:30:43 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I don't know or understand the authority-structure in the LDS church, which was why I stated that if this was too "over the top" that the mods were welcome to delete my post. Many people are offended if the authority-structure in their church is "challenged" by an outsider. Since the LDS church has authorities, such as the BOM, which I don't recognize, some might be offended that I am even allowed to be a member and post here. As I have read some other posts here, I have had to scratch my head and wonder where their ideas came from. I am not here to pick any fights, just to present things from my Reformed perspective.

As for clothing the naked...the Bible also charges believers to take care of the physical needs of the poor. In the Law of Moses, God commanded creditors to return their debtor's garment at the end of the day so that the person would have something to sleep in. Jesus was crucified naked, and He walked out of the tomb wearing nothing but a satisfied smile.

Steve
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us
EltonJ Offline
#5 Posted : Sunday, August 2, 2015 5:41:41 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
pipermac5 wrote:
I don't know or understand the authority-structure in the LDS church, which was why I stated that if this was too "over the top" that the mods were welcome to delete my post. Many people are offended if the authority-structure in their church is "challenged" by an outsider. Since the LDS church has authorities, such as the BOM, which I don't recognize, some might be offended that I am even allowed to be a member and post here. As I have read some other posts here, I have had to scratch my head and wonder where their ideas came from. I am not here to pick any fights, just to present things from my Reformed perspective.

As for clothing the naked...the Bible also charges believers to take care of the physical needs of the poor. In the Law of Moses, God commanded creditors to return their debtor's garment at the end of the day so that the person would have something to sleep in. Jesus was crucified naked, and He walked out of the tomb wearing nothing but a satisfied smile.

Steve

Just agreeing with you bud, not picking a fight. :)
The resurrection is pure beauty.
Mormondad Offline
#6 Posted : Sunday, August 2, 2015 10:28:10 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 270 time(s) in 166 post(s)
Pipermac,
You did not challenge the LDS leadership in your post, you actually stated the true tenant of authority that we adhere to. We believe that the ultimate leader of the church is Jesus Christ and all authority rests with Him.
"Modesty died when clothes were born."
---Mark Twain
Chameleon104 Offline
#7 Posted : Monday, August 17, 2015 2:59:51 PM(UTC)
Was thanked: 71 time(s) in 61 post(s)
Uhm, I'm a Christian and a nudist so the answer is obviously "yes".

Nudist Families are Forever!
1 user thanked Chameleon104 for this useful post.
Frontiersman on 8/18/2015(UTC)
BashfulNudist Offline
#8 Posted : Thursday, February 18, 2016 10:35:37 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Mormondad wrote:
In the temple we all wear white. Part of that is to remove the class distinction of clothing, however I have noticed that even with everyone in all white, many individuals 'of means' still select clothing that clearly sets them apart from others.

I have noticed this, as well, but had never really thought much about it... until I started into nudism.

One of my nudist mentors helped me to realize that when we are all nude together it is like when we are all in white together in the temple. But with that one notable distinction, that the clothing, while all white, can be made of finer fabrics or be of a more ornate design. I do not think that was the original intent of the white clothing being worn, because it can instill a sense of 'class' between individuals.

But with nudism, because there is no clothing at all (I will ignore the towel that we carry in social setting to sit on), it is an even better environment, because everyone really is just alike. No class distinction in sight when everyone is completely nude.

I agree that Christians indeed can be nudists.
Chameleon104 Offline
#9 Posted : Friday, February 19, 2016 3:45:41 PM(UTC)
Was thanked: 71 time(s) in 61 post(s)
OK, we're all in agreement, so, let's all get together.

Nudist Families are Forever!