Latter-day Saints Skinny Dipper's Forum
Welcome to the New LDS Skinny Dipper's Forum!
(View six year's of archives here.)

While this website is primarily for members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, or Mormons, who are interested in chaste, wholesome, recreational nudity, everyone is welcome to participate.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Personal responsibility
GBSmith Offline
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 13, 2014 12:18:47 PM(UTC)
Was thanked: 64 time(s) in 56 post(s)
I've been reading Devery Anderson's The Development of LDS Temple Worship 1846-200, and came across this quote by President McKay on page 320.

Quote:
One letter I dictated was to a woman in answer to her question about the wearing of garments while sunbathing. I said to her: "The wearing of the garment is a personal responsibility, and conditions that justify temporary removal should be determined by each person." - David O. McKay diary, Feb 1, 1960.

Things are a bit more explicit now with the instructions they read during a recommend interview, but it still comes down to personal responsibility.
1 user thanked GBSmith for this useful post.
Hopkington Kalazan on 2/15/2014(UTC)
Mormondad Offline
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 13, 2014 7:58:30 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 238 time(s) in 148 post(s)
If you look at many things that are not actual doctrine, and even many that do touch upon doctrine I dare say you'll see variations of strictness and laxness. Depending upon the times, peoples and leaders requirements and interpretations do seem to vary some.

It has always been a personal choice and responsibility as are most aspects of the gospel. My personal views of the garments are that they serve a purpose of reminding us of our covenants. They are not designed or meant to be a requirement but merely a symbol for us. Wearing them often and frequently is important to keep this reminder in front of our minds, but that doesn't mean we must wear them 24/7 or anything like that.
"Modesty died when clothes were born."
---Mark Twain