Latter-day Saints Skinny Dipper's Forum
Welcome to the New LDS Skinny Dipper's Forum!
(View six year's of archives here.)

While this website is primarily for members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, or Mormons, who are interested in chaste, wholesome, recreational nudity, everyone is welcome to participate.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Nudity in the early days of the (LDS) Church
Mormondad Offline
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 19, 2014 10:38:26 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 270 time(s) in 166 post(s)
We have some very smart folks here and some who have a little more time than some of the rest of us to research matters.

Does anyone have any information on practices of nudity from the time of Joseph Smith through today? How and when was nudity practiced? It has been discussed to some degree about the nude swim at the Deseret Gym. Do we have anyone here who experienced the nude swims in school or YMCA pools?
"Modesty died when clothes were born."
---Mark Twain
Charles01 Offline
#2 Posted : Saturday, March 22, 2014 9:35:30 PM(UTC)
Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Not LDS but I enjoyed nude swimming classes and nude recreational swimming in the mens' pool at the University of Oregon in the 1950's.
Mr Moonella Offline
#3 Posted : Sunday, March 23, 2014 1:52:44 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Here's a nice article about Brigham Young's family swimming pool, beside South Temple Street (not far from Temple Square):

http://www.keepapitchini...am-youngs-swimmin-hole/

Ravenwarbird Offline
#4 Posted : Sunday, March 23, 2014 4:47:39 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 126 time(s) in 69 post(s)
I think I shared a family history story on the old site about one of my ancestors, a young man at the time, who wrote in his journal about having to bath with the women in the river while crossing the plains because of flees or mites. The account made it seen like mixed bathing in rivers and streams was normal and pretty well accepted.
Remember the simple things are the fundamentals of life. Choose ye your path this day. Si prima non succederet usus duct tape.
Frontiersman Offline
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 25, 2014 12:03:54 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 39 post(s)
Ravenwarbird, I don't recall you sharing that, would you mind doing so again? That indeed sounds like it would be an educational ancestral experience.
De oppresso liber
chiennoir Offline
#6 Posted : Thursday, April 10, 2014 12:38:49 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
In junior high in the early 1960s if you didn't have a swim suit for PE you swam anyway. It wasn't co-ed and I can't speak for the girls, though rumor was some of them swam naked as well. Toward the end of the year a few of us dared each other to "forget" our suits. All of us followed through and there were several nude swimmers that day. I'll never forget the feeling of freedom in the water. I think that's when I became at least a closet nudist. This was in Logan, Utah, where the class and the PE teacher were all LDS. It just wasn't a big deal 50 years ago. I don't know why nudity became so verboten.
1 user thanked chiennoir for this useful post.
Medicwoolf on 4/10/2018(UTC)
Mormondad Offline
#7 Posted : Thursday, April 10, 2014 2:55:26 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 270 time(s) in 166 post(s)
chiennoir wrote:
I don't know why nudity became so verboten.

From what I've been able to decipher from it, I believe the source can be due to the separation of people. In the past when families were larger and homes smaller there was far more interaction between family members. Seeing family members in various stages of dress/undress was much more common and so no one thought much of it. As homes got larger and families smaller the notion of 'privacy' came in and much as Adam and Eve were shamed into hiding themselves so were kids given the silly notion that our bodies shouldn't be on display to anyone, including others of the same gender. Remember in the past there were no 'porcelain tubs,' private beds let alone rooms. Family beds were not an option but a reality. Today each kid has their own bed and very likely their own bedroom. Most homes now how at a minimum 2 if not 3-4 bathrooms. And these are the middle to lower income brackets.

The trend probably started about 100 years ago but became more pronounced after WW2 and exploded from the 1980's through the 2000's. Each succeeding generation became even more isolated and separate. We like to call it 'civilized' but I can't see that as an accurate term as we have become increasingly anything but civilized in our interactions with other individuals.

I guess to some degree I had some kind of inherent understanding of this even before I was introduced to naturism as I have always had the rule that none of my kids would have their own 'private' room (my daughter being the only girl was the exception, but I'm thinking that should not have been an exception) even if I had a home with the rooms.
"Modesty died when clothes were born."
---Mark Twain