Latter-day Saints Skinny Dipper's Forum
Welcome to the New LDS Skinny Dipper's Forum!
(View six year's of archives here.)

While this website is primarily for members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, or Mormons, who are interested in chaste, wholesome, recreational nudity, everyone is welcome to participate.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Are You A Mormon?
Zuul Offline
#1 Posted : Saturday, May 12, 2018 6:22:47 PM(UTC)
Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Zuul wrote:
...she is not really hesitant, she just feels a little awkward when in social situations. She has had no problems and has enjoyed herself when we have visited places like Orvis, Desert Sun, and Saint Martin. A couple of times we have been asked where we are from. When they find out some ask if we are LDS. We've never felt hesitant about answering this, but she has told me that she is worried that people will get the impression that she is doing something against the teachings of the church. Even though she knows there is nothing wrong with social nudity, it still bothers her and this prevents her from being as social as she normally is.

I posted this in a different section on this board. My wife and I were discussing this today and would like to know what thoughts others have on this. How would you answer the question "Are you a Mormon?", which for us is a common follow-up question to "Where are you from?" (Utah)
There is no clothes, Only Zuul!
LazerusLong Offline
#2 Posted : Sunday, May 13, 2018 10:59:37 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 173 post(s)
I believe that far too often in the church, we spend far too much time thinking and worrying about what other people think about us.

I think the important part is to be true to yourself to be authentic to be honest and if other people don't like what they see that is their problem. If they miss understand what they see and bring it up then that gives us a chance to correct their misunderstanding. If they don't bring it up then they remain ignorant.

I think the answer to are you a Mormon? is yes if you're Mormon. Spoken with conviction. What difference does it make if the question is asked on an airplane or on the beach at Club Orient or on the sidewalk outside of the Temple. What difference does it make if at that particular moment we aren't exactly living up to our standards? We are human. Which means by definition we make mistakes and sin and so does everybody else.

Trying to put forth the image of perfection leads to hipocracy.

And if you're on the beach at Club Orient when the question is asked it is likely to lead to a very interesting conversation and perhaps a missionary moment.

Being true to yourself, being authentic, and without shame is one if the beauties if Naturism. And one of the things that naturism shares with the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

--- LazerusLong's. $ 0.02
The ways of God, government, & girls are all mysterious & it is not given to mortal man to understand them. - LazarusLong
4 users thanked LazerusLong for this useful post.
Ravenwarbird on 5/13/2018(UTC), Zuul on 5/17/2018(UTC), Treezoo on 5/18/2018(UTC), Nudedad on 5/24/2018(UTC)
Ravenwarbird Offline
#3 Posted : Sunday, May 13, 2018 1:50:13 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 126 time(s) in 69 post(s)
Fully agree with LazerusLong on this; no matter where you are or what you are doing in your day to day life, if someone asks if you are Mormon (and assuming you are) the answer is "Yes, Have you heard of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints?" If they have follow up questions just answer them honestly and to the best of your ability. If you don't know are unsure of something, say so. You can use it as an opportunity to make a friend, to find out what they know about the Church and how they feel about it as well as what they know and how they feel about God and their place and purpose in life. If they are there for the same wholesome reasons you are, they have no reason to judge you or your beliefs harshly.

That being said; it is a lot easier to say these things than it is to actually do them. People don't usually wait until you are ready and prepared, to confront you about the Church or your beliefs.
Remember the simple things are the fundamentals of life. Choose ye your path this day. Si prima non succederet usus duct tape.
1 user thanked Ravenwarbird for this useful post.
Zuul on 5/17/2018(UTC)
RetiredOkie Offline
#4 Posted : Sunday, May 13, 2018 4:47:28 PM(UTC)
Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 53 post(s)
Had a baptist ask me a week or so ago if i were mormon. And if mormons were christians. I told him what the name of the church was
Seems most people know the church as mormon. Not by the full name. Too bad mormon has been used so liberally. Then a little discussion about the trinity and difference between it and the god head. Of couse the multiple wives thing came up as well . Another unfortunate mill stone hanging around the LDS neck. Then we talked about my vehicle.

There are over 4000 religions/sects in the world . Christianity the largest at around 30% followed by islam, non religious i beleve come in the top 5 maybe third.
7.6 billion people infesting the planet growing with birth rate more than double the death rate everybody believing or not believing and everybody thinking they are believing correctly.

Lots of churches named after there founder. Very few include jesus christ in the name. And most every faithfull person believes their faith is correct.

Mormons while greater in nunber tally up in the same ballpark as jews. Mormons being a small fraction of christians.
Mormons being less than .2% of world population. For every mormon there are about 550 that are not. Compared to christians 3 for 7.
retiredokie

1 user thanked RetiredOkie for this useful post.
Zuul on 5/17/2018(UTC)
rjmma Offline
#5 Posted : Monday, May 14, 2018 9:34:50 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 79 time(s) in 63 post(s)
Last year when we were at Laguna Del Sol, we were chatting with some folks in the conversation pool, and the fact that we were from Utah came up, one older lady (late 70's to early 80's) then came over to talk with us and tell us about her daughter who went to BYU, both my wife and I went to BYU so we chatted a bit. On a different occasion, someone else mentioned they had just been visiting family in Brigham City. During neither of these conversations did the other person ask if I was LDS, and I didn't ask if they were LDS even though there were strong Utah connections. If it did come up, I would tell them.

Most people I've ever had vacation conversations with, including the ones I've met at resorts and such, have never asked me about what religion I am. If they find I'm from Utah, then they usually then tell you about someone they knew who is also from Utah (so probably LDS), someone they know who visited Utah, or about the National Parks, or the time they visited Utah.

1 user thanked rjmma for this useful post.
Zuul on 5/17/2018(UTC)
Ddoger Offline
#6 Posted : Tuesday, May 15, 2018 8:16:50 AM(UTC)
Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 44 post(s)
DW and I have been very open about our membership in the church. Every opportunity I get. We don't differentiate between being lds and being naturists. We don't have alter egos that change when we take off our clothes. We behave the same way with or without. There are more times than I can count that we have told people we are lds. We have even shared missionary discussions, given away copies of the Book of Mormon and videos to those we've met on the beach. One person said "I knew it, I had a best friend that was a Mormon".

I ask one guy this year if HE was lds and he got curious as to why we would ask. I said in Idaho there are a considerable amount of lds people and that we were LDS. He said "Oh, I thought maybe you thought I was one of those fundamentalists". Anyway it turns out he wasn't lds but had lots of neighbours that were. We spent the next couple of days walking with him and sharing some of our thoughts about the church.

I did however have a reflective experience this week. I recently invited a couple of LDS friends, who are naturists, to come with us on a trip to a naturist resort. Much to our delight, they accepted. My wife's concern was that, this couple, even though they are naturists, may not understand that in the evenings, we like to dance and the clothes we wear, though appropriate for the environment, are not what a person would see at a LDS church social. I had to ask myself wether I was being hypocritical and living a double standard. After taking my own advice on the standard of modesty, that it is why you are wearing it and not what you are wearing, I came to the conclusion that we had nothing to be concerned about. Different clothes for different situations. I talked with my friend about it and he completely understood. I think it is healthy that occasionally we ask ourselves if what we are doing is in keeping with the thirteenth article of faith.
“Men are disturbed not by things but by the views which they take of them”. Epictetus
5 users thanked Ddoger for this useful post.
LazerusLong on 5/15/2018(UTC), observer BOSUDA on 5/15/2018(UTC), GBSmith on 5/15/2018(UTC), Roamer on 5/16/2018(UTC), Zuul on 5/17/2018(UTC)
LazerusLong Offline
#7 Posted : Tuesday, May 15, 2018 9:38:14 AM(UTC)

Thank you so much for sharing your wisdom with us.

The ways of God, government, & girls are all mysterious & it is not given to mortal man to understand them. - LazarusLong
BeachMan Offline
#8 Posted : Wednesday, May 16, 2018 9:26:49 AM(UTC)

This is a tricky one. Obviously everyone has their opinion on the subject. Do I admit I am a Mormon at a nude beach? Well, I do not go out and say that I am Mormon openly. As I would not walk into a room and state that I am a Mormon to strangers. But if it came up then I would state that I am. I am sure that some non-mormons may be critical. It seems like those who are not members are always watching us and policing us. However, in my many adventures on nude beaches and resorts that NO ONE JUDGES! That is the beauty of Nudism. I wish people in the LDS church could be free of judgement as much as nudist are. Thats why I think mormons and nudists make the perfect match. HaHa.
1 user thanked BeachMan for this useful post.
Zuul on 5/17/2018(UTC)
LazerusLong Offline
#9 Posted : Wednesday, May 16, 2018 10:01:01 AM(UTC)

BeachMan wrote:
...However, in my many adventures on nude beaches and resorts that NO ONE JUDGES! That is the beauty of Nudism. I wish people in the LDS church could be free of judgement as much as nudist are. Thats why I think mormons and nudists make the perfect match. HaHa.

I agree with this.

People in naturist situation are very accepting of others, welcoming, and non-judgemental. It is one of the greatest aspects of naturism.pell

I have often thought that Sacrament meeting and the church meetings should have the same level of welcoming, and accepting as you feel at a naturist meeting. This and other reasons are why I feel that the Gospel and naturism are very compatible.
Chameleon104 Offline
#10 Posted : Thursday, May 17, 2018 10:52:00 AM(UTC)
Was thanked: 71 time(s) in 61 post(s)
We, too, have had the Mormon discussion at nudist resorts. We got into a really deep missionary discussion with a nudist family at White Tail Resort and ended up getting the family to join the Church. We took them to their new Ward before they we baptized and introduced them to their Bishop. If you find it difficult to find good LDS nudist families or friends, introduce friends to the Church and get them baptized. Problem solved.

Nudist Families are Forever!
2 users thanked Chameleon104 for this useful post.
LazerusLong on 5/17/2018(UTC), Zuul on 5/17/2018(UTC)
Zuul Offline
#11 Posted : Thursday, May 17, 2018 2:59:03 PM(UTC)
Thank you for all your thoughts and experiences in this area. We have found them very helpful.

In the couple of times this has come up in nudist environments, we have never even thought of answering no to this question. In my conversations with my wife denial has never been discussed as a possible solution either. I think it comes down to that we are both on the shy side and are worrying way too much of what others potentially think about us. I realize that I can not recall having ever judged anyone that I've met at a resort or beach, so why am I worrying about others judging us. And even if they are, that is their problem, not ours.

The experiences shared here will help us turn any follow up questions about our religion into teaching moments. Thank you all again!
There is no clothes, Only Zuul!
Mormondad Offline
#12 Posted : Thursday, May 24, 2018 7:56:37 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 270 time(s) in 166 post(s)
I like Joseph F. Smith's response to that question, "True blue, dyed in the wool through and through."

I never have an issue answering any question as to being LDS/Mormon. I pretty much think that if I am somewhere where I would be ashamed to be or doing something that I would be ashamed to admit I am LDS I shouldn't be there. Naturist venue does not count as a place/event/activity that I would be ashamed to admit who I am.
"Modesty died when clothes were born."
---Mark Twain