Latter-day Saints Skinny Dipper's Forum
Welcome to the New LDS Skinny Dipper's Forum!
(View six year's of archives here.)

While this website is primarily for members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, or Mormons, who are interested in chaste, wholesome, recreational nudity, everyone is welcome to participate.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Preservation?
Ordinary Joseph Offline
#1 Posted : Friday, May 9, 2014 4:53:29 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 7 post(s)
MormonDad wrote:
This was originally posted on the LDSSDC site, but as it seems to be down at the moment and unknown at this time if and when it'll be back up I thought I should post it here. It has some really good commentary on this topic.

The Classic Mormon Naturism site is down and maybe will never return. In addition, this site may be facing the same future and we have intermittent connections to the v1 site as well.

What I'm saying is that I'm afraid the long history and the key documents of Mormon Naturism may be about to vanish. (Maybe should have said Mormon Nudism, but I think most of you will get my drift.) This is not inconsiderable. Ldssdc.info dates back to 2002 and this site dates back to 2006 and the real roots may go back even further (I remember when I admitted to being a Mormon on the old rec.nude, I was surprised how many regular members of that group revealed some sort of Mormon connection).

And, I admit, I don't know what we could do to preserve this or how to go about it or much else. (Nephi had it a lot easier -- get the records from Laban, even if it meant cutting his head off.)

Any ideas?
Frontiersman Offline
#2 Posted : Friday, May 9, 2014 5:24:04 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 39 post(s)
From discussions I've read it seems that the reason the site might go offline is a lack of participation. Not too sure how to prevent that one. No one can promise to be so committed to something as an online forum as to never let it die on their watch; life happens to everyone, and a website isn't the highest of priorities. Of course Nephi had it easier, without whacking off Laban's head we wouldn't be having these important conversations, let alone a living prophet admonishing a study of the Book of Mormon and preparing the world for the Second Coming of Christ.
De oppresso liber
Mr Moonella Offline
#3 Posted : Friday, May 9, 2014 5:45:12 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 18 post(s)
As I have just posted on another thread:

If you click on http://web.archive.org/w...4502/http://ldssdf.org/ you'll find our old forum.

If you click on http://web.archive.org/w...720/http://ldssdc.info/ you'll find the last snapshot of the LDSSDC site.

If you click on http://web.archive.org/w...http://www.ldssdc.info/ you'll find the last snapshot before their 2009 revamp. I've done that because I actually prefer the way that site was before they revamped it. It was a balanced, easily-navigated set of resources covering different thoughts on naturism for Latter-day Saints, before it was all buried under a pile of other articles.

But I share the urge to preserve this somewhere and not rely on the continued existence of the internet archive.
1 user thanked Mr Moonella for this useful post.
Ordinary Joseph on 5/9/2014(UTC)
Ordinary Joseph Offline
#4 Posted : Friday, May 9, 2014 6:45:34 PM(UTC)

What really concerns me, Mr Moonella, is that people (and more likely to be Mormons than not) who search for Mormon Nudists are NOT going to find the really good stuff. And it's only going to get worse as times go on.
Mormondad Offline
#5 Posted : Friday, May 9, 2014 7:02:54 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 270 time(s) in 166 post(s)
I am working to try and preserve what I can from the LDSSDC site. I have accessed the archive sites and downloaded some from there. I haven't the time at the moment to be very comprehensive so I am somewhat selective. I am also finding that some information is not in the archived site as it only has so much there. I am also seeing the importance of keeping this site going and will work with Bryan and whomever I need to to try and help keep it going, although it might be a task that'll require more than one or two individuals.
"Modesty died when clothes were born."
---Mark Twain
2 users thanked Mormondad for this useful post.
Ordinary Joseph on 5/10/2014(UTC), GBSmith on 5/12/2014(UTC)
Mr Moonella Offline
#6 Posted : Saturday, May 10, 2014 12:41:46 AM(UTC)

Ordinary Joseph wrote:
What really concerns me, Mr Moonella, is that people (and more likely to be Mormons than not) who search for Mormon Nudists are NOT going to find the really good stuff. And it's only going to get worse as times go on.

Yes, if LDSSDC is gone then that issue has just got worse. And with a forum format like ours, finding the best stuff is difficult anyway (especially as all the groundbreaking discussion happened on the old forum). There was a discussion on the old forum about compiling a thread to direct people to the best articles, but as it then opened up the issue of how we decide which are the best posts and all that, it eventually came to nothing.

I'm feeling tempted to take a get-on-and-do-it-myself attitude and get one of those free blogspots just to create a site to post up the classic documents so that they are collected together and not lost in a big forum (a blog isn't an ideal format but I'm no technical wizard, and it would be free). But on the other hand I would feel I was taking over something that isn't just mine to decide on. It would be better if we could create a way of doing this within the forum. It's just that there is now the task of preserving LDSSDC as well.
2 users thanked Mr Moonella for this useful post.
Ordinary Joseph on 5/10/2014(UTC), GBSmith on 5/12/2014(UTC)
rjmma Offline
#7 Posted : Monday, May 12, 2014 10:28:10 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 79 time(s) in 63 post(s)
I agree, I recently got onto the archive to dig up some articles I wanted, but it would be a great work to collect and assemble the stories. Mr. Moonella has a great idea, but may run into some copyright issues. I would be willing to donate to the Palmers hosting site, or some other way to keep the info alive.
1 user thanked rjmma for this useful post.
GBSmith on 5/12/2014(UTC)
Mr Moonella Offline
#8 Posted : Monday, May 12, 2014 12:37:21 PM(UTC)

rjmma wrote:
Mr. Moonella has a great idea, but may run into some copyright issues.

Yes, that thought occurred to me too. It made me wonder whether anyone here knows the Palmers, and could find out what the situation is. Whether the site is coming back. How they feel about articles being preserved on our forum or elsewhere.

Whatever happens, I certainly intend to make copies of all the best stuff from the site for my personal records.
Ordinary Joseph Offline
#9 Posted : Thursday, May 29, 2014 3:34:26 PM(UTC)

ldssdc.info is now back. And should stay back on-line mainly as a historical artifact.Dancing
Gymnos Offline
#10 Posted : Thursday, July 10, 2014 6:43:31 PM(UTC)
After registering here I tried to create a profile there too. Any chance that will still process? The website did send me a link to verify my email, but I can't log in.
Mormondad Offline
#11 Posted : Thursday, July 10, 2014 7:04:20 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 270 time(s) in 166 post(s)
You'll probably have to wait for the Palmers to respond and activate your account. That may or may not take a while.
"Modesty died when clothes were born."
---Mark Twain
nude_explorer Offline
#12 Posted : Friday, September 5, 2014 12:41:09 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 17 post(s)
I used to frequent the LDSSDC site regularly along with the chat forum until most of the participants became non members of the LDS Church, even the Palmers seemed to be moving in other directions. It could be they just lost their way.