Latter-day Saints Skinny Dipper's Forum
Welcome to the New LDS Skinny Dipper's Forum!
(View six year's of archives here.)

While this website is primarily for members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, or Mormons, who are interested in chaste, wholesome, recreational nudity, everyone is welcome to participate.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Is being an active nudist related to church activity or membership?
DS Offline
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 2, 2017 12:12:17 PM(UTC)
Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 6 post(s)
A few days ago I was reading here on the forums and came across a comment that intrigued me. I wish I could find the exact post, but the part that caught my attention was when someone noted that most of the people who are involved in organizing nudist events here locally are no longer active members of the church.

I pondered on that thought: is being an active nudist related to church activity? I have no real proof other than anecdotal evidence: there are many posts here which refer to other nudists who are either inactive or no longer members of the church, or where someone explicitly states that they are not involved anymore. I can't find Alan & Kathy's website about wholesome family nudity, the LDS Skinny Dippers website and swim group have gone away, and any other resource out on the wider web that may have been targeted at Mormon nudists seems to have disappeared or is outdated. (Except this forum, of course.)

Obviously, many Mormons from all walks of life choose to stay home on Sundays instead of going to church and to prioritize other things in front of church membership.

I'm just curious if it happens more frequently within the community of nudist Mormons? Perhaps that's why it's such a small community?
GBSmith Offline
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 2, 2017 3:45:54 PM(UTC)
Was thanked: 65 time(s) in 56 post(s)
I can only speak for myself that my wife and I are active and recommend holders. Another nudist/naturist I know that's a member is a high councilor in his stake. He know's Alan and Kathy and from what he's told me they're active too. Maybe someone needs to do a survey just out of curiosity. The main thing is that being a nudist is no way in conflict with church membership. That's not to say you'd want to share that info at the next F&T meeting and I wouldn't ask the bishop if it's OK unless you want to play leadership roulette. Just sayin'
LazerusLong Offline
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 2, 2017 3:49:17 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 173 post(s)
I mentioned in a post about the people I'm aware of in Wasatch Naturists being more former LDS, and non-LDS, then active LDS.

It is hard to gauge how many active LDS are involved in naturism, because of the very reason that people try to maintain an element of anonymity on this site. There are possible cultural, and perhaps even ecclesiastical repercussions, not because of the the gospel, but because of the culture around the Gospel. There is the thread -- I can't find it on archive.org today ( I've got a saved copy of it -- you can read the thread on my blog)from the old forum about the couple who went through a nearly year long controversy with their bishop, when the in-laws reported their naturist activities to the bishop. There is no official position, and therefore it comes down to the individual bishop and what ever prejudices he might have. Therefore, most, if not all active members keep their naturist feelings, ideas, philosophies, beliefs, etc. on the down low. many of the people on this site have difficulty sharing these feelings with their wife.

Many people leave the church for many reasons. There is nothing inherent in naturism that would cause someone to leave the church.

There are many 'Sunday school' attitudes about the body that naturist attitudes of the body are diametrically opposed to. The Sunday school attitude that a woman can't show her bare shoulders, or wearing a bikini is sinful, is very different from the attitude that the human body is a wonderful creation of God, and all bodies are beautiful. The Sunday school attitude that nudity is inherently sexual is the opposite of the ideal of naturism that nudity can be a tool for helping people develop respect for themselves, other people, and the environment.

Many people when faced with these opposing cultural views, will find the conflict too much, and abandon one view or the other.

Activity in the the LDS Church isn't at odds with enjoying the benefits of naturism, and Naturism isn't at odds with being active in the LDS Church.

I'm kinda of rambling here. Sorry.

--LazerusLong
The ways of God, government, & girls are all mysterious & it is not given to mortal man to understand them. - LazarusLong
2 users thanked LazerusLong for this useful post.
Frontiersman on 5/3/2017(UTC), Medicwoolf on 4/10/2018(UTC)
Roamer Offline
#4 Posted : Tuesday, May 2, 2017 6:27:55 PM(UTC)
Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 65 post(s)
LazerusLong wrote:
I mentioned in a post about the people I'm aware of in Wasatch Naturists being more former LDS, and non-LDS, then active LDS.
There are many 'Sunday school' attitudes about the body that naturist attitudes of the body are diametrically opposed to. The Sunday school attitude that a woman can't show her bare shoulders, or wearing a bikini is sinful, is very different from the attitude that the human body is a wonderful creation of God, and all bodies are beautiful. The Sunday school attitude that nudity is inherently sexual is the opposite of the ideal of naturism that nudity can be a tool for helping people develop respect for themselves, other people, and the environment.

Many people when faced with these opposing cultural views, will find the conflict too much, and abandon one view or the other.

Activity in the the LDS Church isn't at odds with enjoying the benefits of naturism, and Naturism isn't at odds with being active in the LDS Church.

I think it's this and the having to keep their activities on the down-low that probably drives a number of them to distance themselves from the church.

The "sunday school" (dogmatic, rather than doctrinal) attitudes towards the body does create a bit of a dichotomy to have to contend with in church, one that many never fully learn how to work their way through determining when they're facing dogma rather than doctrine. So for some, it'll be easier to stand aside and not have to contend with repressing the urge to correct and/or convert and move in their own respective little orbit instead.
LazerusLong Offline
#5 Posted : Tuesday, May 2, 2017 7:06:27 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 173 post(s)
Roamer wrote:

I think it's this and the having to keep their activities on the down-low that probably drives a number of them to distance themselves from the church.

The "sunday school" (dogmatic, rather than doctrinal) attitudes towards the body does create a bit of a dichotomy to have to contend with in church, one that many never fully learn how to work their way through determining when they're facing dogma rather than doctrine. So for some, it'll be easier to stand aside and not have to contend with repressing the urge to correct and/or convert and move in their own respective little orbit instead.

That is what I was trying to say. You said it so much better and so much more concisely thank you
The ways of God, government, & girls are all mysterious & it is not given to mortal man to understand them. - LazarusLong
rjmma Offline
#6 Posted : Wednesday, May 3, 2017 8:51:46 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 61 post(s)
I think that what has been said is good, but want to add that

While boating isn't against the doctrines of the church, but if we allow it to take precedent over worship, it can lead to inactivity. The problem isn't the activity, it is the underlying desire for some form of gratification that is disquised as a boat.

I do not think that naturism is against the doctrine of the church. I do think that the underlying reason for a person to pursue or practice naturism may or may not be in line with the general doctrines of the church, and so when there is a conflict, church activity and testimony may suffer.

A poor analogy I know, but the best I could think of this morning.
Frontiersman Offline
#7 Posted : Wednesday, May 3, 2017 9:00:52 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 39 post(s)
rjmma, I think it is a pretty good analogy. I agree, it is more the reason for doing something and deciding where priorities are that is the reason for inactivity, not the activity itself.
De oppresso liber
Roamer Offline
#8 Posted : Wednesday, May 3, 2017 10:28:22 PM(UTC)
Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 65 post(s)
rjmma wrote:
I do not think that naturism is against the doctrine of the church. I do think that the underlying reason for a person to pursue or practice naturism may or may not be in line with the general doctrines of the church, and so when there is a conflict, church activity and testimony may suffer.

A poor analogy I know, but the best I could think of this morning.

It's a poor analogy only in regards to people being unlikely to be getting lectures on "the evils of boating" while attending Sunday services, unless it was in relation to somebody deciding to go boating rather than go to church. :)
MatthewW Offline
#9 Posted : Thursday, May 4, 2017 1:20:27 PM(UTC)
Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Roamer wrote:

It's a poor analogy only in regards to people being unlikely to be getting lectures on "the evils of boating" while attending Sunday services, unless it was in relation to somebody deciding to go boating rather than go to church. :)

idk about the rest of the country, but here in florida it's actually quite common for people to choose to go boating on Sundays (which is not necessarily a bad thing), which can often lead to boating being the main Sunday family activity, and thus taking the place of worship. (and often replacing attending church as a result) (This is actually exactly what happened to the family of one of my best friends.)

My point in this? "The evils of boating" could actually be a good talk in sacrament meeting or Sunday school lesson, if applied correctly :p (and I believe that doing so would include what has been mentioned here: priorities.)
The first thing Satan did after they partook of the fruit was tell them to hide their nakedness.
We shouldn't listen to Satan.
Chameleon104 Offline
#10 Posted : Friday, May 12, 2017 5:42:46 AM(UTC)
Was thanked: 71 time(s) in 61 post(s)
DS wrote:
A few days ago I was reading here on the forums and came across a comment that intrigued me. I wish I could find the exact post, but the part that caught my attention was when someone noted that most of the people who are involved in organizing nudist events here locally are no longer active members of the church.

I pondered on that thought: is being an active nudist related to church activity? I have no real proof other than anecdotal evidence: there are many posts here which refer to other nudists who are either inactive or no longer members of the church, or where someone explicitly states that they are not involved anymore. I can't find Alan & Kathy's website about wholesome family nudity, the LDS Skinny Dippers website and swim group have gone away, and any other resource out on the wider web that may have been targeted at Mormon nudists seems to have disappeared or is outdated. (Except this forum, of course.)

Obviously, many Mormons from all walks of life choose to stay home on Sundays instead of going to church and to prioritize other things in front of church membership.

I'm just curious if it happens more frequently within the community of nudist Mormons? Perhaps that's why it's such a small community?

Still love this old question, "Can you be a full time nudist and be an active LDS?" Of course the answer is yes because we are the embodiment of that idea. the entire family are nudists and we are fully active members of the Church and in good standing with Temple Recommends. I am a High Priest and prefer to be nude rather than textiled (clothed). My teenage daughters attend both YWC and the AANR Teen Nudist Camp in the Summer. No issues.

If anybody wants to know how this is done, feel free to come to our home for a lesson. Our home is always open to LDS nudists.

Nudist Families are Forever!
2 users thanked Chameleon104 for this useful post.
BlueFlame6 on 2/9/2018(UTC), Medicwoolf on 4/10/2018(UTC)